...at least for now.
A few weeks ago, a friend mentioned that she doesn't have facebook anymore because she was wasting time checking it. I thought, "That's so silly. I totally manage my time on it." Well...as I checked facebook again and realized that only four new things had updated and I was waiting for someone else to add something to facebook, that I was addicted. Boo...
I realize the benefits of keeping up with distant friends or the ability to see family and friends' kids through facebook.
But for me, I was just wasting my life away on there. Most of the people I'm "friends" with are more acquaintances. And here I am feeling like I don't have enough time in the day, but I'm looking at random people's pictures or getting upset about status updates. I already feel like I'm a bad friend to my close friends...and just had to come to a point where I say, 'I just can't be everybody's friend.' And I'm hoping this makes me better for picking up the phone or sending out an email to be more personal with those I care about.
Please do not hear me saying that you shouldn't have facebook. You are probably better at managing your time than I am.
I feel like I'm going through some kind of rehab though. Multiple times throughout the day, I think, "Oh, I'll write about that for a status update." And then I remember...I don't have facebook. I get on the computer and get ready to type facebook.com before I remember...I don't have facebook.
For now, I've just deactivated my account, not canceled. I've noticed I do have a little more time for reading or folding clothes or my kids. But it's amazing how much time you can devote to email and blogs and group deal sites. I'm still working/struggling through it. And I need to get some birthdays off of facebook before it's "gone."
So funny to see people's emails or texts on my birthday saying, "I can't find you on facebook, so Happy Birthday!" :)
If you need me, call or email. I miss you too.
i haven't brought myself there yet, but i have been trying to cut back in general. somehow "i'm so busy" translates into "i have to check just one more thing online!" and i don't want to be that way. you are so strong!
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking, I haven't heard anything about Kristine and her kids lately. I know that over the years I've become one of those acquaintances, but I do love your updates and adorable children. (I'll continue reading your blog) :) Kudos to you for the willpower to stay away from FB!
ReplyDeleteI hope all is well and that you did have a great birthday! Keep in touch!
~Brianne